Fellowship provides a means to recognize and award Premium Professional members for excellence, innovative and sustained contributions in the areas of scholarship; practice; and/or education; and volunteer service and/or leadership within in the AHA/ASA. International members may also demonstrate volunteer service and/or leadership in similar societies within their country.
At the time of application, the candidate must meet each of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a member at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level
- Has been a member of the AHA at any level for at least 2 year
- Be affiliated with the council through which they are applying
- Has up-to-date dues
AHA/ASA Fellowship conferred by the EPI/PREV Council is reserved for Premium Professional members who are scientists, physicians, clinical professionals and academicians with a major and productive interest in CV disease epidemiology and/or CV disease prevention, and whose accomplishments support the stated objectives of the AHA/ASA and the EPI/PREV Council.
The candidate must be able to demonstrate manifestation of continued interest and intention to remain active in any aspect of epidemiology and/or prevention as evidenced by:
- Has been actively involved in the field of CVD epidemiology or CVD prevention for at least 5 years.
- Has made substantial contributions to the field as evidenced by approximately 8 publications in peer reviewed journals in the field of CVD epidemiology or prevention with at least 2 manuscripts as first author or equivalent as reflected by participation in research activities.
- Clinical or community service in CVD epidemiology or prevention or teaching in the field of CVD epidemiology or prevention.
- Significant and current or past volunteer service and/or leadership within the AHA/ASA. Significant and current service to the AHA can be demonstrated through leadership and involvement in national, council, affiliate and/or local activities, including but not limited to active participation on committees, boards and task forces; development and fundraising (HeartWalk, galas, etc.); advocacy efforts; professional and lay education programs including writing groups, abstract grading, speakers bureau and Get with the Guidelines; and research grant peer review.
- International candidates must show evidence of significant and current volunteer involvement and service in similar organizations/associations in their respective country/state or through other avenues of community involvement as long as these activities are well documented and perceived as equivalent to those in the United States.
The EPI/PREV Council considers applications for AHA Fellowship during the spring and fall of each year. Applications must be submitted through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System by the deadline date/time to be successfully submitted:
- December 1 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time for the spring review cycle
- July 10 - 5:00 p.m. Central Time for the fall review cycle
- Please note that applications entered after the deadline date/time cannot be successfully submitted.
Candidates may be proposed by any active AHA Fellow (dues up-to-date) or Emeritus Fellow (Emeritus Fellows are exempt from paying dues) who is well acquainted with the candidate's current professional activities and AHA/ASA volunteer involvement. The proposer need not be affiliated with the EPI/PREV Council. To apply for AHA Fellowship, please follow the procedures below:
- Sign in with your My.AmericanHeart for Professionals username and password to apply online through the Council Awards/FAHA Application System.
- Complete all sections of the application in order to avoid delays; incomplete applications cannot be successfully submitted.
- Attach documentation as required; Please noteapplications that do not include the required documents cannot be successfully submitted:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae with complete bibliography
- A letter of recommendation from your proposer. The letter must clearly articulate how the candidate meets each of the criteria, be written on business letterhead, and be signed by the proposer - electronic signature is acceptable.
- Head and shoulder photograph. Please note that the photograph may be used to recognize elected Fellows in Connections and my.americanheart.org web site.
Locate active AHA Fellows by name or council in the online Membership Directory. To access the AHA online membership directory:
1. Sign in with your my.americanheart.org username and password.
2. Select Membership.
3. Under Membership, select Membership Directory, select Advanced Search.
4. Select Council.
5. Under Member Type, select International Fellow or Fellows.
Review and Election Process
Fellowship applications are peer reviewed by the Membership Committee during the spring and fall of each year. A slate containing the names of candidates that meet the eligibility requirements and criteria is presented to the Leadership Committee for election its bi-annual meetings. Candidates will be advised of the status of their application via email prior to the EPI/NPAM Conference (spring review cycle) and prior the AHA Scientific Sessions (fall review cycle).
Recognition and Acknowledgement
Newly elected Fellows will be recognized by the Council Leadership at the Annual Dinners held during the Annual EPI/NPAM Dinner (spring review cycle) and the AHA Scientific Sessions (fall review cycle). Newly elected Fellows are strongly encouraged to attend these events. A FAHA certificate will be mailed to the newly elected FAHAs after the aforementioned meetings.
In addition to Premium Professional member benefits, AHA/ASA FAHAs receive:
- Recognition by peers for contributions that support the AHA's mission.
- Entitlement to use the designation FAHA.
- An 8 x 11 certificate to commemorate the achievement.
- Early registration to attend the AHA Scientific Sessions, International Stroke Conference, and other AHA Council sponsored meetings.
- Access to the FAHA lounge at Scientific Sessions.
- Eligibility to nominate candidates for FAHA.
AHA Fellows elected through the EPI/PREV Council are required to maintain membership at the Premium Professional or Premium Professional Plus level. Failure to meet this requirement will render your FAHA status inactive.
Questions? Contact the AHA Fellowship Desk
Phone: (214) 706-1293